Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Response to poem and Writing


Escape Training: Instructor’s Flying Rappel (pg.121)
I jump backwards off the cliff
To show how it’s done:

One two footsteps taps on the face
Of the rock and then I rest

In the blink of an eye I’m at the bottom
Sounds of music that the rope makes

Whistling as the rope flows through the hand
One to stop the other to flow

Feelings of joy how does one express
To those who I teach

In dire situations is this movement useful
But done right it’ll sound like a melody

Measuring out the line is important
All lines eventually end just like a song

Down the rope I fly but as the rope ends
I look down with just a little to go

                                                The flames
Instead of rescue
This task is able to be done without the use of rope

I complete in silence the maneuver
I jump off the burning floors.

In class last week, the class went through the end part of “City Eclogue” and wrote a response.  This was a difficult task at least for me since I’m not sure how Ed Roberson wrote these poems.  When the professor asked us to write the response I read the poems and thought about which one jumped out.  After reading the poem, I thought about how Ed Robinson styled the poem and what message he was trying to convey.  Since I lack experience writing poetry I tried to look for patterns and spaces.  After writing the response we went around the class and talked about the poems we chose and read our response.  Hearing the different interpretations helped me to understand the writing style better.  I also enjoyed hearing how people thought about the various poems. 

The response for this week’s blog is on the poem Escape training.  Reading the poem jumped out at me because of my own experience rappelling down towers.  Ed Roberson did a great job in describing the experience of rappelling and the excitement it brings.  Feeling the rope whistling through my hands and tapping off the face are two things that I can picture while reading the poem.  The only part I had difficulty visualizing was the end of the poem since I’m not sure what situation would require you to rappel off the side of a burning building.  I’m thinking that either the poem is about his experience or if it’s through the experience of someone else.  While writing the poem I tried to convey my own experiences rappelling and also Ed Robinson’s feeling of the burning building. 

After reading the Poems, we talked about what we read in “Bird by Bird”.  The author does a great job in describing the highs and lows of writing.  In the beginning of the book, the author talks about her own experience with her father and how he inspired her to write.  A classmate talked about how talking about how “real” her father was is a brave act and I would have to agree with that.  Writing about one’s father is generally done in a manner that exaggerates or draws one’s father in the best of light.  Anne instead writes about how her father wrote about her neighborhood in a negative light, which caused difficulties for her.  Also Anne talks about interacting with her students and how difficult writing can be.  “I don’t even know where to start,’ one will wail” is how I used to act towards my writing teacher in high school and when I read that part of the book I laughed.  Anne does a great job to encourage writing with “Remember that you own what happened to you.”  Reading this really put into perspective how easy writing can be.  I’m really looking forward to reading more of this book and learning the ins and outs of writing.

(In-Class)  The "State as Body" Aspects of Eunuch Rule (pg. 113)

To hate or love                by killing to feel

Simple sense

Interacting with people                     cutting away at my self

Sharing of blood                    what is

                       Knowing others

Losing myself in others                    inner turmoil of the mantel

Earth            Eyes on me

Looking into a mirror                             watching myself

                      Longing for self

Feeling alone                             always alone            

To avoid loneliness even if        
Companion with death 

No comments:

Post a Comment